Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - The PlayPump: What Went Wrong?

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Science | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 07, 2010 - 21:05
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Earlier this week, PBS”s Frontline ran a story about the PlayPump, a technology that was supposed to bring drinking water to thousands of African communities by harnessing the power of children at play. The title of the Frontline story, “Troubled Water” indicates that all didn’t go as planned with the PlayPump. As Frontline reports, dozens of PlayPumps in Mozambique sit idle, and in many villages PlayPumps have been removed, and hand pumps reinstalled.

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/water/2010/07/01/the-playpump-what-went-wrong/</p>

-----

Not conspiracy related, but it is a good example about why you should be skeptical about panaceas.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
NanosPosted: Jul 08, 2010 - 01:02
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I would hazard a guess that the children was too busy working in their day jobs to spend much time playing..

Now, if instead they had installed PubPumps, they might have got more work out of daddies footsteps going for a drink..

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 08, 2010 - 07:27
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

I would hazard a guess that you didn't read the article.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jul 08, 2010 - 07:35
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

It's interesting how popular things like these become among people who don't understand the problem in the first place.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
NanosPosted: Jul 08, 2010 - 08:07
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

The article was very vague on just what the children was doing.

Being that often in developing countries people have kids so they can work in the fields, I somehow doubt they have much time for play, and rather spend their time working or studying.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]