Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Science vs Pseudoscience is their a divide?

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Science | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 13:12
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

Is there a serious divide in this world between people who understand science and people who don't or am I just painting a black and white picture of the situation?

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
AKBastardPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 13:18
(0)

CS Original

I think it's more of a desire to be "open-minded" about pseudo-science than a simple misunderstanding. Even if you're being that way over nonsense.

Way too many people don't understand that just because there are possibilities, you don't accept every possibility.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 13:27
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

There is a distinct difference between being open minded and having a hole in your head from which your brains leak out.

Yes, I stole that from Carl Sagan.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 13:30
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original

^It's quotes like that that make me feel offended that TZM constantly parrots Sagan.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 13:50
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

CS Original

Actually "There is a distinct difference between being open minded and having a hole in your head from which your brains leak out." this sounds a lot like Fresco says except he says "Don't be open so much that your brain falls out". So Fresco ripped that from Carl Sagan then.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 14:14
(0)

Level: 12
CS Original

People who believe in pseudoscience are too quick to trust evidence that isn't sufficient and frequently isn't credible. If somebody takes a homeopathy pill and sees their health improve, they'll infer that the pill caused the health improvement. Meanwhile, if another person takes aspirin and sees their health improve, they'll also infer a casual relationship. In both cases, the people are trusting experts who recommend the pills and experiences which suggest a correlation. While these two situations aren't equivalent, both people have reason to believe that their product worked.

Somebody very close to me doesn't trust mainstream doctors because of situational disdain (they misdiagnosed her mother; she saw bad press about the FDA; she watches Oprah). Her evidence for doctors being unreliable / malevolent is not comprehensive and at times untrue. She is the type who would resort to homeopathy over aspirin and would very likely elicit a strong placebo effect. There's no need to study the chemistry of homeopathy; she knows that doctors are bad and that the homeopathy pill improved her health.

It isn't always about being too open-minded. On the contrary, it's sometimes about being too closed-minded. The refusal to evaluate her notions that doctors are evil and that homeopathy works represents an inability to open one's mind to reality.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 14:16
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Fresco steals every idea he's ever had from someone else and then slaps his own name on it. The guy's a scumbag and a con artist.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 14:35
(0)

CS Original

@Aaron their are doctors I'd define as pretty bad doctors who lie like miss Dr. Carboni who ironically are Pseudo doctors as well. Always get a second opinion or third or even forth if one isn't sure about a diagnosis a doctor makes. Doctors do make mistakes but ultimately their word should supercede Pseudoscience and even worse Pseudo doctors who call themselves doctors; their bullshit Pseudo doctors.

People who believe in pseudoscience are too quick to trust evidence that isn't sufficient and frequently isn't credible.

CTer's believe in such things yet they do not research the opposing side. If they do research the otherside they SHOULD ALWAYS keep a open mind to an extent. When they research then actively piss on opposing views that's unfortunate. When they listen and understand and begin to see logic but continue to piss on opposing views disregarding the various flaws in their CT views, or RBE views, or paranormal views, then that is a person that goes on pure dogma then logic or reason. It's not the fact that I want them to believe in what we say but when presented with logic and reason and yet they still preach such things as fact only show more the lack of logic and reason these people use and shows how strong their dogma based belief system is as well as their attempts to pedal their shit off as fact to anybody and everybody that will listen.

It's not that we're (we're being none CTer's) mentally ill, or haven't watched the videos closely it's the fact that they lack logic and reason and are basing their belief on pure dogma. So how do you argue dogma? You can't really. It's exactly or basically is like trying to tell a die hard Christian that their religion is bad and that they should get out of it. How well does that work out? Well it doesn't. Their is nothing you can do about dogma based cults besides the individuals inside them will find out for themselves eventually and or groups continue to present logic and reason until some if not all CTer's understand for themselves.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
scitopsPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 15:31
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

People fall for pseudo-science because it is presented in easier to understand ideas than real science. It's easier to believe that God created the world is six literal days than to understand the evolution of species. When I visited a scientology center the video they showed me was far easier than anything in my psychology text book. Same with Austrian economics.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 15:45
(0)

CS Original

I've seen some use Occam's Razor to refute science as being too complicated.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 15:56
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Its easier to watch a three minute YouTube video that aligns with pre-existing prejudice than it is to accept that we live in a chaotic, irrational and unfair world.

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 15:57
(0)

CS Original

@scitops I would agree with that. Just because it's easier to understand doesn't make it true.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Sil the ShillPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 16:08
(0)

CS Original

Can you give an example, Aaron?

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 16:59
(0)

CS Original

I was in #philosophy on efnet, and some people were discussing natural cures for disease. One guy thought it violated Occam's Razor for doctors to give multiple, complex causes for disease. Rather, the only cause is not eating whole foods. I think he also threw in the complex explanations for aging as being bunk.

I've also seen the concept of Occam's Razor used to refute evolution. Apparently, some god making everything is a lot simpler than the complexities of evolution.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
AKBastardPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 17:39
(0)

CS Original

My mother believes in food woo. She thinks the reason I have stomach ulcers is because of my diet when I suspect it's probably just stress.

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 17:41
(0)

CS Original

Ironically, my mom thinks my mouth ulcers are caused by stress, while I suspect that it's due to my diet.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 17:41
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

I'm quickly finding food woo among the stupidest.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 17:45
(0)

CS Original

I was banned from Mercola.com for disagreeing in his comments section.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Feb 06, 2011 - 17:53
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

Not surprised. People that peddle food woo, whether it be organic, raw, microwaves are evil etc. are often incredibly smug and arrogant.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]